Thursday, November 10, 2011

Track 5: Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert


The two most intriguing and tempting words in movies, TV shows, and video games today.  How many times have you been reading a review or a preview of a movie or TV show and seen this?  Everytime I see this I take a pause and think do I really want to know what I'm about to read?  Usually that depends on if I plan on watching what I'm about to read in the near future.  Right now mine and a lot of peoples anticipation could not be any higher for the new Batman film The Dark Knight Rises.  This movie can not come out soon enough in my opinion.  I have watched the teaser trailer for this film maybe 20 times, and theres only about 20 seconds of new footage in the whole two minute trailer.  The new movie even has its own website dedicated to spoilers for the movie.  In todays world of constant documentation of everyday events and camera phones the ability to report spoilers have exploded especially in the movie business.  The Dark Knight Rises is being shot around Pittsburgh and Los Angeles and almost every time the movie cameras have been rolling so have the cell phone cameras.

What makes people so interested in spoilers? Why do people want to post them? Why do people want to ruin movies or shows for themselves?  I think when you have a movie like the Dark Knight Rises and the amount of anticipation and expectations surrounding it that it is hard not to want to know whats going on or whats going to happen.  I can only compare it to an almost type of hunger or addiction to the movie and as it gets closer to the release date the amount of information you want grows.  Its similar to finding out you are going out to eat a big steak house the next day so you tell yourself that you're not going to eat until then so you can just eat as much as possible.  Sometimes this happens and you are able to make yourself not snack and are able to wait till you get to that steakhouse to finally eat (you don't Spoil your dinner).  The next approach is that you say that you aren't going to eat till the next night, but then you go to the fridge and you see some leftovers from dinner and have a little snack.  Then you see a bag of chips sitting on the counter and you have a few of those, you don't really spoil your upcoming big dinner but you may just not be able to eat as much for it.  The last way is to say whatever I don't care if I spoil my dinner I can just take leftovers home and you end up not enjoying the meal as much.

I personally try to not look at spoilers as much as possible but sometimes I just can't help it I just want to know that theres going to be a Batwing in the next one...woops Spoiler Alert.  As long as they don't ruin the movie for me like when I found out SPOILER ALERT Bruce Willis was dead in the Sixth Sense before I saw it, that was weak.
Dark Knight Rises Teaser

No comments:

Post a Comment